Manual focus on my DSLR … scary!

15 July 2014

It never ceases to amaze me how much I learn from reading blogs. Just recently, this Thistlewood Farms' post made my day.


I have been trying to play around with Aperture priority on my DSLR, having some success and some failure. I want to try to master the ability to blur the background or foreground of a photo. KariAnne, of Thistlewood Farms, suggested taking the camera off auto focus. 

S.C.A.R.Y!!!

But, I did. 

Right there and then, I grabbed my camera and took these shots of my desk and notice board. The sort of shots I want to keep and frame ... maybe not.

Focus at the front.




Everyone has a glass of red on their desk when reading blogs, don't they??? Well, what's left of a glass of red.

Focus at the back.


I was ecstatic! It was so easy.

So, just to be sure I hadn't fluked it, I took two more.



As a newbie at non-auto-everything DSLRing, I was in heaven.

So, I played with manual focus for a few days and had some successes. 

I took this one while out driving in the countryside.


I loved a bit of rusted barbed wire. Don't you?

And these at the Rose Garden in the Royal Botanic Gardens, Hyde Park, Sydney.






It's a shame I couldn't capture the perfume of these roses as well. So lovely.

What surprises me most is that manual focus works for me … most of the time. 

I need a lot more practice, but I love the way it allows me greater control over the focus point of my shot.

My biggest problem is remembering to turn auto focus BACK ON. 

I find myself clicking away happily producing totally useless photos because I thought I was in auto focus mode.

I have A LOT to learn.

Little steps.

Little steps.

So, what do you think?

Manual focus or auto focus?

Any simple tips you can give me?

I need all the help I can get.

I still need to learn how to control Aperture to do this too.

It's a slow process.



Latest Instagrams

© Libby's Lifestyle.. Design by FCD.